Saturday, March 26, 2011

The "Date"

A lot has happened since the last time I was here when I told you about someone asking me to go for coffee. I accepted to go with him so I could come out of my many years hiatus. 
We agreed to meet in the coffee shop of a popular hotel right in the centre of the city.
First, I was at a quandry about what to wear but eventually settled for a pair of skinny jeans, a top and boots - kind of smart casual appearance and also comfortable. I didn't want to go all out because I suspected there would be no point. I already had my doubts about my date anyway and I didn't want to put myself out too much. (I could be such a bitch sometimes!)
I notified my dearests and closests about the date, venue, time, etc. and many times I felt like cancelling out but everyone was like, 'just go'. I got one of them to call me with an 'emergency' 20 minutes into the date in case I need to bolt.
Then, typically me, I started fantasising that maybe it won't be all that bad. Maybe he deliberately misled me into being a frog and will indeed turn out to be a Prince afterall - at least its happened before in Dysneyland. 
We were meant to meet at 4 or so but I was in the area - 'casing the joint' - 30 minutes earlier. I went into a coffee shop over looking our rendevouz point and from there I I had my stake-out. I had a perfect view of the enterance so I could see who went in and out. 
I was prepared for the worst so any body - short of a bum that I saw going into the hotel was me prospective date. I was afraid that I was just going to run away before the time. 
Eventually, I saw someone that looked like the photo I saw on the website. The photo did not lie! Nor was he a Prince. I watched him for nearly 5 minutes, debating if I should go down or not. Then he called me. (we had exchanged numbers earlier in case we were running late or something)
So I got up and walked to him. First impression, (well, second) he was  wearing a football jersey over a pair of slacks and a massive windcheater. My dad wears a pair of slacks! Not looking good..
I can't remember if we hugged or shook hands, but he was nice. I decided, well, I'm here, so I'd better relax and enjoy the afternoon. And that was what I did. 
We went inside and ordered coffee. The conversation was general but I was able to gather that my 40 year old date, who looked a lot older than that, had no job, a series of health problems, dependant issues and verging on football fanatic. However, I found him to be quite nice and the conversation flowed, even though I knew nothing would come out of it. I told him about my studies and business and he remarked, 'beauty and brains, eh?' 
On 20 minutes cue, my friend called me but I told her it was okay but asked if she could meet me in another 30 minutes so we could leave together. 
The 'date' lasted for about an hour but I enjoyed myself. Reason being that I always enjoy being with people, no matter who they are and they find it easy to talk to me. I wonder why. 
Anyway, time to go and he asked if he could see me again. Being honest and upfront (tsk, tsk, tsk) I told him that I wasn't ready for a relationship at the moment. He said he's fine with being friends so I said, fine, as friends then. We said our goodbyes and I was thinking 'that went well'.
I made sure my friend saw him so that it wouldn't be that I was making excuses later when I tell them that I wasn't going to see the guy again. We mutually came to the conclusion that he was not the one to bring me out of the hiatus.
The search continues..........

No comments:

Post a Comment